Ephesians: Discovering Your Identity and Purpose in Christ (A Discover Together Bible Study)
by Sue Edwards
(I received this book for review purposes.)
I’m excited to bring to you a Bible study that I am participating in by Sue Edwards. I participated in her 1 Peter Bible study. It was rewarding. I worked on the Ephesians Bible study this past week with “Lesson Five: Sit Down to Walk.” I’m excited to share my thoughts with you.
This week’s focus was the way we live our daily lives. I read Ephesians 4:1-16. The memory verses were Ephesians 4: 2-3.
- The four qualities Paul mentioned are, lowliness (humble), meekness (submissiveness), long suffering (patiently enduring wrongs), and forbearing (patient, restrained).
- I would have to say that my greatest struggle is with patience.
- These characters are important in the church, because without them everyone will be there just for themselves.
“Unity of the Spirit”
- Paul said to keep the unity of the Spirit. Unity in church is important, because otherwise people will leave and nobody will want visit there. We can’t do unity ourselves, we need God to do it.
- The parts that bond all believers together are one body, one spirit, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God, one Father.
- Verse seven begins with the word but which means however. Christ is the giver of our gifts and as a result freedom.
- There are many gifts; apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, teachers, ministry, exhortation, wisdom, knowledge, healing, faith, miracle worker, discerning of spirits, speaking in tongues, and interpreting of tongues.
- My gifts are pastoring, helping (tie) and it is also a tie with faith, encouragement, and writing. These gifts should work together to help me live for Christ.
- I am not always using these gifts, some are dormant. The gifts I am using right now are pastoring and encouragement, because of my children and homeschooling them. I need to make sure I am actively using my gifts in a positive manner.
- I think that if spiritual gifts are overemphasized then people can become prideful.
“Secure and Growing Together”
- If we work together with our gifts we will be unified in Christ.
- We will not be children tossed about and deceived. If you are tossed around then you need to read the Bible and form your own opinions.
“Truthing in Love”
- We need to speak everything in love, even the disciplining, because it will be better received. I sometimes struggle, because it is hard to show love in attitudes when you are not receiving the love.
- You will grow in Christ when walking in truth and love.
- The Holy Spirit is telling me to use my gifts in truth and love.
Genre- Bible Study
Published by- Kregel Publications
Number of pages- 128
Age Group- Adult
Description of book- Paperback, listed price- $12.99, ISBN 978-0-8254-4309-1
Disclosure of Material Connection- I received Ephesians by Sue Edwards for free from Open Book Promotions and Kregel for this Bible Study. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. All links were current when posted.